Monday, December 27, 2010

Oh Sh*t! Kaleena Gets A Day Pass Off That Dirty Money Plantation

Kalenna Diddy Dirty Money

The girl in Dirty Money who isn’t Dawn recently did a solo interview and photoshoot with Atlanta-based BE Entertained Magazine, and did a lot of talking about Diddy, Dawn and some other sh*t you probably don’t care about.

On her start in music:

I never thought about doing anything else after I was presented the opportunity to BE a professional recording artist. Thru my high school years, I quit singing gospel and I wanted to start singing secular music. My dad was like the easiest way to break secular music was to BE like Missy Elliot and back door the game and write for other artists. My journey working with producers and other musicians in the game, they were like you have a gift of writing things down and making it make sense; so why don’t you write for people? I was like this is the second time I heard this, let’s just do; so I locked in with a producer and I think that’s a key thing when you’re a writer and trying to get on in the business is to lock in with somebody and create a sound that people will look after you for. So we created a sound and it took off and I was just grinding. I remember being in Roc-A-Fella, in Universal with my duffle bag at 18 leaving high school trying to figure it out. I used to hustle up and BE in all the buildings with the A&R ‘s letting them hear my stuff, and ideas…in the studio with Peedy Crack and Oschino back in the day, trying to get on hooks and I was presented the opportunity to come to Atlanta and write for these girls. It was an independent label, and I was like well it’s starting to pay off. I might get my first little check for back dooring the business and writing for other people. I came down here and ended up writing their whole demo package. People were like who is this girl? I ended up getting a placement on Christina Milian from that and went on to Charlotte Church it was a wide range of music I was doing.

On working with Dawn:

It’s been a great honor and pleasure. It’s definitely always good when other black females can support each other; coming from our different backgrounds and not really knowing much about each other. It was time to grow and time to get together and learn and know each other. Just getting together and vibing from jump, that was mind blowing. I’m like this Bitch just came up in here with these crazy shoes that I love. It was amazing, her voice and her perspective on life is what makes me feel honored to BE next to her because she wants to do a lot of the same things that I want to do I life.

We are so much alike sometimes that we do argue. It’s scary, we happen to have a lot of things alike, from our parents, to where we grew up, how we grew up and the things that we do. How we talk to people, how we are always respectful and keep GOD first, those are a lot of the things we have alike, so sometimes we argue.

(Did you catch that contradiction??)

On d*ck-ridin’ Diddy:

Sean is so kind hearted, very sweet. Sean is a perfectionist. Sean does not sleep. With that being said, I had to step my game up. The hustle I thought I had, the know how I thought I had, it’s like naw boo, it’s good that you’re doing that but you always gotta seek to BE the best, when somebody is sleep, you have to BE up so it’s been brilliant, no words can describe having that front row to how the bread is actually made. A lot of people don’t have that so I thank GOD for having that opportunity, it’s BEen dope it’s been a beautiful learning experience. I wouldn’t change it for the world.

We also learned that Kaleena is working on her solo debut… and a clothing line, just in case. Oh, and that people actually call out her name in public places.

Kalenna BE Entertained Magazine  Release Party

Kalenna Diddy Dirty Money

0 Comments: