Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Avril Opens Up About Doing Peace Campaigns

We know Avril as one of the country's biggest hitmakers. Her track with Marya, Chokoza, blazed through the clubs, Kitu Kimoja was one of the biggest tracks last year and her latest single, Hakuna Yule (Missing You), is definitely one of her best tracks yet and will surely be one of the highlights this year.
The Ogopa Deejays-signed singer has now poured her heart out about peace during the upcoming elections and her conscience as one of the artistes who have been performing during peace campaigns.
"There are so many Peace Campaigns being funded left right and center in our community at the moment. I've probably been in one or two or three of them...parading for peace.

You know what makes me sad? I don't feel so enthusiastic after. Do you know how sad it is to speak to someone but you can see that person's eyes are trying to tell you that 'you have no idea what you are talking about'. Makes you feel so helpless.
I don't know what to say, what to do, have no idea what to change. Do I even have the capacity to make a change? Arms need to be taken away from warring factions....people need to stop killing each other but most of all we need to stop pretending that we don't need each other.
We sing, we dance, then we go home but...then what? What is that extra thing?  My question(s) to myself today is..what more can I do? What am I not doing? Did I make anyone change their mind about being violent to their neighbour? How passionate am I about peace for my country?
This passion...it makes me cry for my country...it makes me pray for my country...cause I know I can talk and sing but the final decision rests on that person who can't sleep when that concert is done cause he's afraid for his/her family, and himself..."

0 Comments: