Monday, October 11, 2010

Ameriie Performs In France; Debuts New Songs

amerie hair 2 e1286786242922 Ameriie Performs In France; Debuts  New Songs

Besides headlines pertaining to her striking new hair do’, it’s been rather quiet on the Amerie front for the better part of a year.

All is set to change, however, with the release of the 31 year old’s new LP Cymatika Vol. 1next year. Select songs from the album were premièred during her set at the Cotton Club in Paris over the weekend.

Check out her performance of new song ‘Inside You’ below, as well an insight into what we can expect from the LP.

In a recent interview with Coutura, Ameriie elaborated on what sound to expect from ‘Cymatika’:

Coutura: Great tips! So tell me about the new album. How have you evolved? How is it different from your last album?

Ameriie: It’s completely different! It’s not a hip hop, R&B, soul album at all. It’s called CYMATIKA Volume 1, I’ll have other volumes as well.

Cymatika is the study of visual sound. They’ll put sand on a plate that is hooked up to wires and with certain sounds, vibration goes through to the plate and creates a geometric shape out of the sand. You’ll go from C note to D note and when you change the note, the sand’s formation changes. When you go back to C, the sand goes back to its original formation. It’s fascinating.

As humans, we’re all energy and light and spirit; and sound plays a part in that because sound is simply vibrating energy. That’s what this album is about…about life and who we are, not being afraid to be who we are, and not forgetting our spirit.

Coutura: How would you describe the sound of the album?

Ameriie: The album is influenced by new wave and acid house, which I explored in my album “Because I Love It” in 2007, which was released in Europe.

For the fans who heard that, they’ll say “Oh, I could see this coming.” For fans who loved the first album, they’re going to be like “What is this?!” (laughs) But I grew up listening to everything, and this is where I am now. And it feels right for me.

Though the cynic in me is eye-rolling at her somewhat over-the-top explanation for what essentially sounds like more Electro/Euro-Pop (based on the video), I can’t help but salivate at the prospect of an album similarly themed to ‘Because I Love It’. If ever the phrase criminally underrated applied to a body of work, it be for that album. Here’s hoping both Amerie and her label manage to make things work this go round.

Randomness: I really “can’t” with that hair.

0 Comments: