Wednesday, October 6, 2010

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT UPDATE: CATCHING UP W/ KEVIN COSSOM + HIS NEW SONG “BABY I LIKE IT”

Singer/songwriter Kevin Cossom was one of our popular Artist Sportlight of 2009. The up and coming star who is best known for co-writing Keri Hilson’s hit song ‘Knock You Down’ (in which he was nominated for a Grammy), is slowly branching out from behind the scenes and working on his debut album which is set to be released in 2011.


♫ Kevin Cossom feat. Diddy & Fabolous - Baby I Like It

After some success with a recent R&B mixtape and working with major stars like Jay-Z and Mary J. Blige, Kevin is currently promoting his new single ‘Baby I Like It’ featuring Diddy and Fabolous (produced by Danja).

We recently sat down with him in our he spoke about his current career and more.

On the new album:
It’ll be out in 2011. I have a lot of material. You know being signed to a producer Danja and me being a writer– we are always working. It’s just really about putting together a body of work that makes sense.

On giving away songs to other artists:
At the end of the day I just want to win, just recognizing whether it’s my hit or not it’s still a win. I definitely want to get respect as an artist and not just a songwriter. I realize that you can’t really think like that, it’s a business.

On artist comparisons to Usher, Ne-Yo and Mario:
Naturally we all try to put things in a category so we can understand it. So I understand that in the beginning people will say that. I know it comes with the territory because I’m putting myself out there.


On transitioning from behind the scenes into the forefront:
Gradually I’m recognizing the schedule. The lost of free time and sleep. It’s cool, it’s what I always wanted to do. You its primary for me to be an artist. But I’m excited and I’m anticipating to see the schedule gets.

On his writing style:
I work a lot with Danja and we will have a skeleton of a song and we go off that. I don’t really write anything down, it comes naturally. I feel it’s all about the vibe and a lot of times your first feeling is your most sincere and the right feeling.

What do you feel you’re bringing to the table?
I have a fun approach to it. I also see the process of putting the whole thing together not only as a songwriter, but a producer and now the singer. Also, being that money is the key factor in most artists lose sight on using their talents. The reason we all go into it, it is because we all had a love for it. But then you realize there are so many other things and it is now a business.

Make sure to check Burudanikilasiku for the latest from the upcoming star.

( Photos: Taj Washingon )

0 Comments: